For someone who is not real big on the holidays, I absolutely adore these days between Christmas and New Year’s Day. Part of it is because I work full-time at a college and, like our students, we get these glorious days off before starting full steam ahead again in January.
The other part is I happen to believe there is something magical about these days. Because they are the last days not just of the month or the quarter but the whole year, people tend to write them off as an insignificant segue into start of a New Year.
But I know better.
It’s as if these days have a secret they will share only with those who can get quiet enough to listen and be still enough to notice.
While many people are bustling about returning items, reconnecting with family and friends, or trying to check off the last few items on their yearly to do list, I’ve been quietly calling the pieces of myself back home in order to acknowledge all the adventures I’ve had during this trip around the sun.
Before I even begin thinking about what I want to create in the New Year I ask myself a series of questions about the current year. The answers I get inform my direction and my intentions for the upcoming year.
I wanted to share them with you as a way to consider what 2017 has meant to you. You may want to sit with them, answer the ones that feel most in need of answering, skip those that don’t make sense for you, or make up your own.
After allowing my answers to these questions to reveal themselves to me, I take out a piece of paper and put a big plus sign on one half of the page and a big minus sign on the other. Armed with the insights from this year, I can clearly articulate what I want more of and less of in the New Year.
Because this is a process and the questions require time to marinate, I first read through them and let them seep into my psyche before attempting to answer them. Then I grab a pen and let the answers come to me.
By about Sunday I’ll be able to collect my responses and apply the perspective they afford to the New Year. On Monday I’ll spend some time welcoming 2018 and contemplating the choices ahead of me. I’ll Name & Claim what I intend to create and then release that intention into the wild.
I share this with you in hopes that these questions might help you find some clarity and direction in the New Year. Maybe you can ask some of these questions of your family and friends at a New Year’s Eve gathering?
May you savor these last days of 2017 as they share their secrets with you.
Baby Steps & Best Advice
- Where did the smallest step produce the biggest result?
- What was the best advice you were given this year?
- Who shared it with you or how did it find its way to you?
- How aware of your body were you throughout the year?
- Did you feel connected to your body and allow yourself to feel the pleasure of being in a body or did you disconnect and spend the majority of time in your head?
- Did you have any health challenges or achieve any health or fitness goals?
- What books, movies, music, conversations, trips, trainings, or classes forever changed the way you think, feel, see, or experience life?
- What places provided you with the most peace or inspiration, the best working environment, the most creative conversations, the most nutritious and delicious food and drinks, incredibly beauty, or fascinating people?
- Where did you love hanging out and with whom?
Fears & Thrills
- What was the scariest thing you did this year?
- How did you feel once you faced your fear?
- What was the most thrilling thing you did, said, felt, or experienced this year?
- What made you feel most alive?
- What caused you the most pain or regret?
Gadgets & Gizmos
- What new technology did you master that catapulted your business or personal life forward?
- What products, apps, or life hacks made your life easier, more organized, or more fun?
- What purchased created the most joy and/or frustration as you worked through the learning curve?
- When and how were your gifts recognized and appreciated this year? (By you and others.)
- When did you need to activate your superpowers and how did you do so?
- Was there a particularly painful lesson that held an exquisite gift for you?
- When did you have to practice patience and learn to move at the pace of grace?
Health & Well-Being
- What creative, meditative, fitness, or health practices did you begin that made a noticeable difference in the quality of your life?
- What new foods or drinks did you discover this year that you now can’t live without?
- What really nourished you? (Mind, body, and spirit)
- What health care practitioners offered you the most comfort or provided you with the most helpful information necessary to achieve your optimal health and well-being?
- Were there any new arrivals in your home? (Pets, people, plants, furniture, etc.)
- Were there any departures in your household or family circle?
- Did you move or add on to your existing home or somehow alter your living arrangements?
Livelihood & Creativity
- Did you start a new adventure, begin a new business, retire, or leave an old career to start something new this year?
- Who was on your dream team? What collaborations or partnerships gave you the most joy and brought about unexpected or innovative results?
- Who needed to be fired from your life? What relationships created chaos, unnecessary drama, miscommunications, or major meltdowns?
- Where did you create something amazing out of nothing?
- Where did you take “massive imperfect action” as my coach likes to call it?
- What crazy idea captured your attention and refused to let go until you took action? What happened next?
- Where did you lose track of time and fall into the flow of doing what you love?
- How did money show up in your life this year?
- Did you experience any money miracles or windfalls?
- When did you feel especially abundant? What thoughts, practices, purchases, or actions contributed to that?
- When did you feel constricted or tight about money? What thoughts, practices, purchases, or actions contributed to that?
- Did you read any books, attend any seminars, work with any financial wizards or coaches who helped shift your mindset around money?
- Who walked into your life this year? How did their presence impact what’s possible for you?
- Who walked out of your life this year? How did their absence create more presence for you?
- Who do you long for? Who is missing in your world?
- What relationships shifted or transitioned as you changed and grew?
- Where was your love most needed and how easy was it for you to offer it up?
- Who surprised you with their unwavering support and love? Who disappointed you?
- Where did you go this year and how did you get there?
- Did you travel for business, for pleasure, out of obligation, and/or because it was your soul’s calling?
- Who did you meet in your travels?
- What did you see?
- How did it change you?
- How did God/the Universe/the Great Creator/Divine Feminine or Masculine reveal itself to you? How did you respond?
- Were any of the answers you were seeking hiding in plain sight?
- What was lost? What was found?
- When did you feel closest to God or Source energy?
- What was surprised you most this year?
- How did this surprise rearrange your reality?
- What unlikely sources of support, funding, friendship, or freedom showed up for you?
- How did world events impact your actions?
- Did these events alter your opinion of humanity or change the way you view the world or the future of the planet?
- Did these events catalyze you to join a movement, stage a protest, offer aid or assistance to those in need?
If you had to sum up the year in 6 words, those words would be:
___________ _____________ _____________ ______________ _______________ _____________
* Mine would be: You can’t make this stuff up. Really, it was that kind of year! Totally amazing.
Top 10 Takeaways from the year? List them here!
I’d love for you to share any aha’s or epiphanies that may arise from these questions in the comments below.